Designing a box for one of your favourite books, in short that’s what the new competition by Stichting Handboekbinden (the Dutch Society of bookbinding) is all about. No main role for the book this time but for the particular packaging made by you. Pamper your book by making it a special box.
When making the box be inspired by the book’s design, its character and/or its content. On the condition that the book was bought i and has not been handbound, rebound or restored. Despite some restrictions (see below) the ‘Box-Your-Book’ competition invites you to think ‘out-of-the-box. Both originality, design and technical execution will be judged by a competent jury. The relation with the chosen book will come first.
A competition? Who wins?
There is no 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize to be won in this competition. The 50 best-rated works will be nominated and included in the exhibition that will be shown in several places in the Netherlands and hopefully Belgium. For example, many will know themselves as the proud owner of a beautiful piece of work, which will be viewed and appreciated by many in and outside the profession.
All submissions will be included in a specially designed catalog, in which the 50 nominated pieces will receive extra exposure. And that catalog … is in a box!
The competition in short:
- Entries via the website: by 31st December 2020 at the latest
- The box must arrive at the organizer’s address by 1st April 2021 at the latest
- Entry fee: € 40,-
- Maximum muesurements of the book: 31 x 22 x 5 cm (12,2 x 8,7 x 2 inch)
- Participants can choose their own box measures
- The basis of the box must consist of either pulp (grey) board, carton or paper. Any sort of cover material can be used
- The jury will judge on originality, design and execution. The relation with the chosen book will come first.